Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Stepping Out on the Court: The First Blog Post

My name is Sara Watkins. I am from a small town in Arkansas, but am now a sophomore in college. I love spending time with my family (mom, dad, older brother, younger sister) and friends. I like to write poems and crochet and other little hobbies but the major interest of my life is sports. I love playing sports (mainly volleyball, swimming, softball, and running) and I love watching my Pittsburg Steelers, LA Dodgers, and Arkansas Razorbacks.
 
 I’m a Mathematics major on the Education track with a Spanish minor and a coaching minor.  I love love love math and want to share that with others so they can approach it with confidence. I also love volleyball. I played all throughout Jr. High and High School and was all set to play for the team at college until a shoulder injury ended my days of playing volleyball.  So now the plan is to coach High School volleyball so I can stay around it and help others grow in their skills.
 
Those are big parts of my life, but the sole purpose of my life is to bring honor and glory to God. I am working to not only keep my walk with God from suffering while at college, but to strengthen it far beyond where it’s ever been before.
 
In volleyball, the goal is to never let the ball hit the court on your side. A player who really cares about winning will do whatever they can to keep the volley alive and going. They will give it their absolute all to ensure they never let the ball hit the ground. This can be carried over into our relationship with God as well. We should strive to keep our faith up and stong. We realize we'll have some valleys along with the mountains, but we make sure we never let our faith hit rock bottom. This will be the focus of my blog. I want to help others enhance their volleyball skills and maintain a strong faith at the same time.  I will have posts dedicaited to getting out of the bleachers and onto the court: in volleyball and as a Christian; getting in shape: physically and spiritually; and maintaining a good health by not only eating the right foods, but also being fed by the word of God. Each post will contain athletic advice and its coinciding Christian advice. Any comments, critiqes, or advice are welcome! I hope you enjoy!

                                                                  Stepping out on the Court
                                                         Photo Credit: Britannica Image Quest

This link is for the American Baptist Association in which my church is a part of- the site contains our doctrines, beliefs, list of churches and pastors, events and other general info:
http://www.abaptist.org/home.shtml

This link goes to the Arkansas Activities Association Volleyball page. It contains a list of conferences, schools, the latest news, and important dates as well as the official rule book and other useful documents:
 http://www.ahsaa.org/activity/7/volleyball

1 comment: